I've been listening to Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket (1310am/104.1fm) ever since a friend of mine - an older, male friend - introduced me to the station in 1998 while I was home on Summer break. When I headed back to school I was devastated to find that Jub-Jub and Rhynes broke up right before Hillsboro... but I continued listening after graduation and have been a P1 ever since.Skip to about a month ago. I get not one, not two, but THREE phone calls from different people telling me that Corby "Snake" Davidson will be speaking to the Junior League of Dallas. Oh yeah, and also, The Hardline stated on-air that there are no attractive women in the League. Thanks.
Well, Corby's big night was tonight at JLD HQ in front of a packed room of 200+. The Insight labeled this October Group Meeting as 'Football 101 with Corby Davidson.'
It was more. Much, much more.
I have to admit that no matter how many times I see the Ticket guys on location, I get a little stupid. I mean, like they're celebrities or something. And I guess in their own right they are. So as I see Corby walking to the podium I mutter, "Snake." Surprisingly enough, he answers back, "Hi," as friendly as a little snake could.
Then the fun begins. I cringe as Corby is introduced. I'm not sure if it's because this woman has never listened to The Hardline or if she was just given bad info, but she mentions Corby's exclusive interviews with Charles Barkley. Umm... that would be Shaq. Wow.
Anyway, Corby gets on the mic (and props to him for putting up with the ridiculous JLD sound system all night) and jumps right in. Literally. I'm pretty sure he cut his introduction short to start talking. All I know is the next thing I hear is this:
Snake: "I may have to excuse myself to the restroom..."
JLD: "Well, we don't really have a Men's restroom. It's a family one."
Snake: "So you have a unisex bathroom? What is this, a club?"
[Pause]
Snake: "You wanna go drop some X in the unisex bathroom?"
I sh*t you not. To the Junior League of Dallas.
Oh, and see how I censored myself there? Well, Corby didn't. I mean, he did... he talked to us like he talks on the air. So, no F-bombs, but a scattering of A-word and B-word shrapnel. It's not his fault... nobody was there to dump him.
Still, I have NEVER had so much fun at a Group Meeting. You have to understand, most Group Meetings are about how to cook a perfect soufflé or when to potty-train your child. I like hamburgers and have two cats. But you know what? I love me some Ticket, and I love me some football. So thanks, JLD, for booking Corby.
And thanks Corby, for entertaining the League.
Oh, and see how I censored myself there? Well, Corby didn't. I mean, he did... he talked to us like he talks on the air. So, no F-bombs, but a scattering of A-word and B-word shrapnel. It's not his fault... nobody was there to dump him.
Still, I have NEVER had so much fun at a Group Meeting. You have to understand, most Group Meetings are about how to cook a perfect soufflé or when to potty-train your child. I like hamburgers and have two cats. But you know what? I love me some Ticket, and I love me some football. So thanks, JLD, for booking Corby.
And thanks Corby, for entertaining the League.
6 comments:
You are going to be totally famous. The Hardline is quoting you.
Knot
Yaaaayyyyyy! HARDLINE! HARDLINE!
So I guess they pretty much read it verbatim? I am so upset I missed it! Stupid Taco Bueno run!
Oh well... so goes my 15 seconds of Hardline fame...
Holy crap. It almost makes me sad I was kicked out of the Jr. League in Abilene. That sounds like WAY more fun than I was having.
Found your blog through the conversation on the Ticket.
My initial question is what were you doing at a junior league meeting?
But that is followed by hysterical laughter. I wish I were there and I wish someone would write this up as a SNL skit.
I've been a JLD member since 2004. Niener and Meredith are, too, and probably more BU KKGs, but since there are 5000 of us...
Post a Comment